my CNUSD logo
  • Search

Independent Study Contracts

Independent study contract

  • Are you going to be out of town for 5-10 school days?  Then you need to apply for an Independent Study for your student.  An Independent Study will only be approved one time per academic school year and allows your student to earn attendance credit. Learning is occurring by completing the work assigned but this is not classroom instruction or collaboration with their peers and academic gaps will occur.
  • We always encourage students to be present in school and we appreciate your commitment to keeping your child engaged while they are absent from school for this period of time.  
  • Please be aware of the following prior to making the request:
  1. Independent Study contracts must be requested by the parent, filled out, and signed by the parent/guardian NO LESS than one week prior to the start of the absence.
  2. An Independent Study will not be approved the first or last week of the school year. 
  3. An Independent Study will not be approved the week before going off track as teachers will not have the opportunity to grade work, or the week coming back on track as lesson plans for that time will not be created yet.
  4. The work must be completed by the student and returned the scheduled day of their return, otherwise credit will not be awarded to your child and they will be considered truant.
  5. Students on IEP's may not participate in independent study unless the IEP clearly states independent study participation.  Students will not be guaranteed makeup service time.  Please speak with your case carrier to schedule an IEP addendum meeting. This must be completed before it can be approved.
  6. To request an Independent Study, please visit our front office and one of our clerks will assist you.  
Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2019 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.